How to Spread the WASH Fortune
We have spent the last two days covering how a large portion of the population is without proper water and sanitation services. Yesterday, we discussed specifically why this is a problem. Today, let’s take a look at what can be done to help solve this crisis.
Providing universal access to access to water, sanitation and hygiene could save an estimated 829,000 lives each year. Many of these lives would be those belonging to children who die of malnourishment due to lack of clean water.
What society can do
As the United Nations says, access to clean water and sanitation is a human right.
Global problems deserve global responses. There are things we can do as individuals, but there are bigger solutions. The U.N. has recognized this global problem and has vowed solutions. In fact, the U.N. has the 17 goals for improving the world, and number 6 is “Ensure availability and sustainable management of water and sanitation for all.”
If everything goes as planned, then by 2030, everyone will have access to clean water and sanitation services.
The U.N. has organized multiple events aimed at raising awareness and providing much needed aid to these people without access to WASH.
What we as individuals can do
As beautiful as it would be for us all to visit these countries and donate our labor to dig wells, it is unfortunately not realistic for us. However, there are plenty of other actions that we can take.
One of the easiest things we can do is put our money where our mouth is. Donate!
● Volunteer! There are plenty of organizations that need volunteers to put in the labor needed to build the infrastructure needed. Some volunteer organizations do require that you pay your own way so that everything goes into helping those in need:
○ Global Vision International (GVI)
○ Omprakash (Water Collective)
● You can become part of the Safe Water Guardian Society and make monthly donations. You can also make them a beneficiary in your will or life insurance policy if you want to make a difference. They offer multiple options for donating.
● You can make donations to numerous organization:
● Put your purchasing power to good with Lifestraw, who will donate clean water to children in need via their water filters.
● Another wonderful way that you can do good and provide sanitation and hygiene to those in need is right here at Clean Buddies. Through our corporate social responsibility program, we will donate 100 of our hand-sanitizing wipes for every new subscribe and save subscription that is done on our website.